Applying for an Indian passport
Please find the general guidelines for applying for an Indian passport from Canada. Please go through the details below and prepare your application accordingly. To acquire further details on a particular type of passport, please select the passport category from the drop down list provided below.
Please note: - In addition to the regular visa fee and the ICWF fee a nominal BLS Service charge in the amount of CAD. 7.40 will be charged for each application.
Select Passport Category
Please peruse through the important information provided below for applicant(s) submitting an application to the visa application center in their respective jurisdiction.
- Your Indian passport establishes your identity in a foreign country. Hence it is important to have it re-issued before the date of expiry. The passport can be submitted for re-issue up to one year before the date of expiry.
- Your Indian passport is a valuable document. It should always be either in your own custody or in the custody of a person duly authorized by you. If lost or destroyed, the fact and circumstances should be immediately reported to the nearest Mission and to the local police.
- We suggest that you keep a photocopy of your Indian passport in a safe place, separate from the passport. The photocopy should include the pages showing the personal particulars, validity of the passport, date/place of issue, also the stamp of departure from India, entry in Canada and the visa issued by the Canadian authorities.
- All minors are required to have a separate passport. Old practice of including a child’s name in the Passport of either of the parents has been discontinued.
- On acquiring Canadian nationality, the Indian passport should be submitted to the nearest High Commission of India/Consulate General(s) of India for cancellation. It is returned to the holder after cancellation. Use of Indian passport for travel to India after acquiring any foreign nationality is an offence and invites penalty. After acquiring Canadian citizenship, you do not remain an Indian citizen and need an Indian visa to travel to India.
- You may be asked to provide additional documents, which are not mentioned on the checklist as per the requirements stipulated by the High Commission of India/Consulate General(s) of India.
- An applicant(s) who wishes to apply for thefollowing services need to contact the High Commission/ Consulate General of India directly:
- Emergency Passport
- Transportation of ashes
- Renewal in case of a lost or damaged passport
- Life certificate
Toronto and Ottawa Jurisdiction: All the documents mentioned on the checklist are required to be submitted in original.
Vancouver Jurisdiction: All original documents must be notarized from the notary public except for the passport which needs be submitted as an original.